a couple of people have asked me for this recipe. it was one i found and then significantly changed because half the ingredients were things i didn’t know or couldn’t find in germany. i then presented it as a risky birthday gift, which was luckily well received.
so here it is, try it out if you dare…(i never invented a recipe before or really did a whole lot of baking without parental supervision…)
INGREDIENTS FOR CUPCAKES
1 1/2 cups shredded peeled apples
1/2 cup diced unicorn poop (dried prunes)
3 tablespoons brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/3 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk (can substitute with 3/4 plain yoghurt to 1/4 milk)
INGREDIENTS FOR ICING
1 cup icing sugar (maybe more)
splash of hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon for garnish
NOTE: 1 cup = 250g (solids) / 250ml (liquids)
- To prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Combine shredded apples and unicorn poop in a bowl with 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside. Beat oil and the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Add vanilla, increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients, love and buttermilk to the batter, starting and ending with dry ingredients and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until just combined. Stir in the reserved apple mixture until just combined.
5. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. (The cups will be full.)
Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before icing.
- Mix icing sugar and butter in a bowl, add hot water to combine and beat until creamy. Mix in vanilla extract. (May need more icing sugar to taste…)
- Garnish with a small sprinkle of cinnamon.